Wednesday 13 April 2011

Feeling Low

I'm going to keep this brief as I'm feeling pretty miserable today.  After feeling like I've been running at my absolute best for the last couple of weeks, I've suddenly had a bit of a disaster this week.

I didn't mention in my last update that on Sunday afternoon, following my 9 mile run, I went on a 3 hour training course organised by the Managing Director, and ex-kettlebell client, at Cambridge Kung Fu.  The course was on circular strength training, a system of strength training devised by Scott Sonnon, a leading light in the world of martial arts.  I won't go into too much detail.  The course itself was great, using a mix of bodyweight exercises and Indian Clubbells.  The bodyweight exercises were almost a mix of martial arts' moves, with a twist on the usual bodyweight exercises, and with a bit of break dancing thrown in.  Needless to say, all quite different to what I'm used to.  The Clubbell workouts weren't too dissimilar to kettlebells.  Overall, I coped with the three hours of training quite well, but could tell that I'd had a good workout.  I was pleased that I wasn't as much of a sweaty wreck afterwards as the younger participants on the course.

The following day I had my usual manic Monday, culminating in three kettlebell classes.  All was going well until my final class of the evening, during which I demonstrated an exercise and felt a sudden spasm in my neck.  I didn't think too much of it at the time.  I managed to bluff my way through without any students noticing, and got to the end of the class without having to do any additional demonstrations.  However, by Tuesday morning I could hardly move my neck.  As the day progressed my neck seemed to get worse, to the point that even walking became painful, especially if I had to walk upstairs.   I had to cancel half of my day and booked myself an osteopath appointment for as early as possible this morning.

The osteopath did a great job, but I could tell he was unable to give my neck the real big crunch that it needed.  I left feeling slightly better and with a lot more mobility than I had on arrival, but it still didn't feel great.  As today has progressed my neck seems to have deteriorated again.  I'm hoping that a good night's sleep will now help, but at the same time I have my doubts.

I am so annoyed that I've gone from feeling like a finely tuned distance runner to an absolute wreck in a couple of days.  I'm putting it down to overworking myself with the culmination of trying a new training system followed by a busy work day.  Hindsight is great, isn't it?  Don't I now wish I'd gone a little easier on Monday.  I keep asking myself why did it have to happen this week?  I was so looking forward to running London in close to 3 hours.  If the pain in my neck doesn't ease, that is going to be impossible.  Right now I'm just hoping to be able to finish.  I have no idea if I can even run at the moment, I certainly couldn't have yesterday.  I'm really hoping I feel better tomorrow.

This is one really pissed off runner signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment