Sunday 18 September 2011

Ticking Over As Usual

There’s been a flurry of activity amongst a small group of my running friends and Sweaty Betty runners this week.  A considerable number (9 at the last count) have enrolled for Paris marathon, which takes place next April.  For many it will be there first marathon, and at the moment they seem to be excited about the prospect of taking on the marathon.  I have also enrolled and I too am excited about the prospect of a weekend trip to Paris to run the marathon with a group of friends.  However, for me, there is the small matter of running the remaining 7 marathons this year, which is a daunting task.  I’m not quite sure now why I decided to up my challenge.

I’ll be running my next marathon next Sunday.  Given that the last one was just last week, it has been a case of just keeping ticking over this week.  Most of my runs have been done either with clients or with the Betties on Wednesday.  I went for a steady 8 mile run yesterday, on what was a lovely autumnal Saturday morning.  I headed down to the Cam and out towards Waterbeach.  When I turned round I discovered I’d been running with a strong tail wind on my back – I hate it when that happens!  As I was heading back I passed a small group of friends out on a 22 mile training run in preparation for the Amsterdam Marathon on 16 October.  I’ll also be running a marathon in Lincoln on the same day, but I also have another two to do before then.

Today was the day of the Cambridge Chariots of Fire Relay race.  As I had a number of friends taking part I ran into town to give them some support.  The relay race is a 1.7 mile lap around central Cambridge for teams of 6 people.  It was won by the same team as last year from the Glassworks Gym, with my mate Guilio’s team in second place once again.  As a running event it is really good fun and most teams are made up of groups of work teams, many of whom would not normally call themselves a runner.  It was good to see so many people given it a go and having fun at the same time.  Once I’d seen all of my friends complete their laps I headed off on a six mile run back to home, meaning I’d run a total of 9.5 miles today.

I just need to keep on ticking over for the remainder of the week and look forward to the New Forest Marathon next Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment