Tuesday 19 July 2011

Fairland's Valley Race Results In

When I checked the race results yesterday I was amazed to discover that I finished in 6th place out of 205 marathon runners.  I thought I was just plodding around.  Still, my high placing would explain why my legs were feeling so tired.  I've definitely been feeling sorer after the Fairland's Valley Marathon than I was post South Downs, which should have been a harder race.  But maybe this also further confirms my difficulty to soreness ratio theory.

I wouldn't necessarily regard the Fairland's Valley Marathon as being particularly tough, providing you can interpret race instructions whilst running.  It is mostly run off-road and at times on fairly thick grass, which is more energy sapping than tarmac, but also a lot more pleasant.


There's also a few challenging short climbs.  But none of the hills were impossible to run up.


On the whole, the weekend's marathon was a really enjoyable race.  The number of participants was fairly small.  About 500 people in total took part, with 205 doing the marathon and the rest either opting to do the 50k ultra, or an 18 mile or 12 mile run.  As always with small events there was greater camaraderie and the runners were more supportive of each other. 

Marathon number 7 completed

The organisers had laid on a free barbecue at the finish, and I was very grateful for my cheese burger.  My one and only criticism of the event is that the race memento is a bit naff - a one size fits all baseball cap with the Spartans Running Club logo on, the club that organised the event.  Still, it was a cheapish event to enter, so I can't really complain.  I guess I prefer a medal.

Since Sunday I have now picked out my next marathon.  I've decided not to do the North Downs Marathon so that I can join my friend for his birthday celebrations.  Instead I will take part in 42k Pathfinder Walk which starts at Conington in Cambridgeshire.  It's another local event and only cost £7 to enter.  Although it's billed as a walk it is recognised by the 100 marathon club, in fact it was a member of the club who told me of the event.  There are also different start times for runners and walkers, so runners are definitely welcomed by the organisers.  I'll be posting my application today.

No comments:

Post a Comment