Monday 20 June 2011

Wasted weekend (perhaps?)

This will be a quick update as I've done very little in the way of running since the last marathon.  I figured that if I'm going to keep tabs on all the good work I do I should also report on the pitfalls to my training.  Last weekend I was full of good intentions that didn't materialise, mainly because I spent a lot of it with a hangover.

Saturday's hangover was pathetic.  Ruth and I stayed in with a DVD Friday evening and drank one bottle of wine between us.  The next day I struggled through a few choirs with my hangover but couldn't summon the energy to do any training.  I had planned to do a kettlebell session and short 5 to 6 mile run.

On Saturday evening I went out with a bunch of mates for a lads' night out.  Most of them are now parents and we rarely all get together without respective wives, partners and children being in tow.  My hangover from the previous evening had just about gone by the time I was heading out.  I was expecting to only be out for a few beers and be home by 11.30pm.  We were kicked out of one pub when it closed at 11pm, but none of us quite felt ready to go home.  So we headed to a pub just down the street that was open to midnight.  However, when that pub closed we found ourselves going on to somewhere else.  I haven't confessed to Ruth what time I got in, but I came very close to watching sunrise.

So Sunday morning, of which I saw way more than I would have liked, I woke with my second hangover of the weekend.  At least this time I felt as if I deserved it.  Despite the magnitude of the hangover being more severe at first, I did manage to do some training later that day.  But the 14 mile run I'd planned didn't happen.  Instead I did some kettlebelling and I also played with my latest fitness toy.  My ViPR (which stands for Vitality, Performance and Re-conditioning) arrived earlier in the week, so I had a quick workout with that, too.




It must have been a good workout, because my abs have been complaining today.  Anyway, that's about it.  Tomorrow is my last working day before I head off to Glastonbury bright and early Wednesday morning.  Maybe all the drinking I did last weekend was good training for this forthcoming weekend.  Watch this space for my Glastonbury review.

2 comments:

  1. ViPR? Picture 2 looks more like a rocket launcher to me! You haven't signed up for the Kabul marathon have you? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most ladies have a tough timing together with exercise into their busy schedules, which is why doing core workout are superb since it works out nearly all areas of the body through quick routines.

    ReplyDelete