Saturday 26 February 2011

Final Preparations For Marathon Number Two

Gloucester Marathon was five weeks ago now, but it seems like an age.  I thought that the time between each marathon would seem to pass really quickly.  I'll be very happy to get the second marathon over and done with tomorrow. 

I have a few little jitters today.  I guess everyone is a little nervous the day before a marathon, but I am feeling a little more nervous than normal for me.   I don't know whether it's because tomorrow's marathon is on my home turf and there could be quite a few friends out cheering me on.  Or because it's slowly dawning on me that I've actually set myself quite a big challenge.  I've also had a few little twinges this week, which are playing on my mind a little.  My right knee suddenly felt a little weak on Thursday when doing some squats.  I think the idea of running a marathon on it amplified the feeling of weakness, but at the same time I'm hoping it isn't the start of an injury.  I wish I had organised a sports massage during the last week.  Must go next week!  My lower back has also been feeling a bit tight in the last few days, so I'm hoping that doesn't affect my running tomorrow.

I'm also still not sure which running shoes to use.  This might seem like a trivial decision, but to me it's quite important to get it right.  The problem is that the marathon is about 50% road and 50% trail.  I know that many of the trail sections will be muddy and slippery and that my trail shoes would be the best things to wear.  The problem is my trail shoes are quite new and I've only used them for two 5k Park Runs.  Why haven't I been using them more?  I am now regretting my lack of foresight and wished I'd used them a lot more over the last few weeks.  I don't feel as if I've worn them in enough to suddenly run 26 miles in them tomorrow.  I think I'll probably settle for using my road shoes and except that I'll have to take it easy when the going gets slippery, even if I have to walk large sections.  I don't want to risk slipping and twisting an ankle.  Especially as the third marathon of the year is just two weeks later.

So what have I been up to over the last week?  On Sunday I went for an 11 mile easy pace run, meeting up with two of the girls from the Sweaty Betty running club.  We stuck to the tow path alongside the river, on what was a fairly cold February morning.  I regretted not taking my small pocket camera with me.  There was a head of river boat race on, with many boat crews taking part.  One section of river was packed with boats waiting for their starting orders.  It would have made a great photo in the early morning light, with mist on the fields behind.  I must get more organised and get into the habit of taking my little camera.

I then rested Monday and Tuesday.  I didn't even have my usual marathon client to run with on Tuesday evening, as he's off skiing.  I did, however, have double training days over the next two days.  I kettlebelled Wednesday morning (a shoulder, arm and cardio workout) and ran with the Sweaty Betties in the evening.    I also kettlebelled Thursday morning, focusing on chest and back.  I've set myself a target of being able to do 50 press-ups with no pause and at a good, solid tempo.  I managed to get to 43, so edging closer to my target.  In the evening I went for a 5 mile run at target marathon pace.  I'm settling on a pace of approximately 7 minutes 30 seconds per mile.  This will have me finishing in a time of around 3 hours 20 minutes, just like in Gloucester.

It's been mostly rest since Thursday, along with carbo loading, of course.  Providing you like pasta, this has to be the best part of preparing for a marathon.  I had a good stretching session with Holly on Friday.  She managed to twist and push me into several positions that didn't feel natural to my runner's body.  I'm sure it's doing me good, though.

I'm fairly keen to have a kettlebell workout today, but I know it wouldn't be the most sensible idea.  I'm glad I actually have this blog to write to occupy some of the time today.  It's also helping me to reflect on what I should and shouldn't be doing.  So, no kettlebells today.  And as of next week start using my trail shoes more, and arrange a sports massage.

I do hope we have decent weather on Sunday.  Yesterday we had heavy rain forecast.  The forecast is now saying that the rain will arrive today and that Sunday will be nice with sunny spells.  I hope the forecasters have it right.  I do have little faith in the abilities of weather forecasters.  Doesn't stop me from checking the forecast, though.

I'd love to go to the pub today to watch the England vs France Six Nations match, but with a marathon tomorrow I've settled for watching it at home with a couple of mates.  That way I'll definitely only drink soft drinks.  This is yet another sacrifice that has to be made.  Staying off the beer and keeping hydrated the day before the event.  Boo!

No comments:

Post a Comment