Sunday 30 January 2011

Back To Training From Tomorrow

As of tomorrow I'll be drawing a line under my rest week and immersing myself in training once more, ready for marathon number 2 in four weeks time.  Just as well after all I've eaten over the last couple of days.  We've not long got back from a weekend in Sowerby Bridge, Yorkshire, where we were visiting our dear friends Ron and Kate, who both happen to be excellent cooks.  It's always a great treat to spend time with them at their home.  My mouth is watering at the thought of Ron's roast lamb dinner, Kate's Malaysian fish curry and the pancetta and parsnip tagliatelle with homemade pasta.  Not to mention the Devilish desserts.  Best not dwell on those.

As well as eating, the evenings were spent downing a few bottles of fantastic wines, with one visit to a local pub to taste a few guest ales.  I'm not one for heavy drinking, not these days, but our visits up North tend to re-awaken the drunken student of my youth.  I'll make amends with an 8 mile run in the morning before seeing my first client at 9.40am.

We did get a little exercise with a walk over Rishworth Moor, past Green Withens Reservoir and along part of the Pennine Way to Blackstone Edge.  Probably a mere 5 mile walk, but the bracing wind helped to blow away the cobwebs.  It was a beautiful day, with the exception of the cold.  Once we were walking it was fine.  But when I took my hands out of my gloves to eat my cheese and onion sandwich, made using Kate's homemade caramelised onion bread, they turned blue in seconds.


Over the course of the weekend Ron announced his intention to run the Shakespeare Marathon on May 8th.  This will be his first marathon.  It's a mere 15 weeks away and he only managed to do his first run in ages today, under my guidance.  I am now charged with writing his marathon plan.  From nothing to marathon in 15 weeks is a big, big challenge.  Especially as he also has a heart condition.  Still, if he can do it he will be an example to many as to how resilient and adaptable the human body can be.  He has realistic expectations in terms of what sort of time he should be aiming for (5 to 5.30 hours), and also knows that he will more than likely have to walk some of it.  I'm sure that his determination will pull him through on the day.  The big challenge is getting him to the start line in one piece.  Hopefully, come May, I'll be able to mention that he completed it in great shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment